Markerless Motion Capture and Analysis with Simi Shape 3D
Simi Shape 3D allows full-body 3D motion capture and analysis without any markers! Simi Shape captures movement based on silhouettes.
What makes Simi Shape 3D unique?
The possibility to work markerless is advantageous in various ways:
- no time loss due to attaching markers
- less failure potential due to misplacement of markers
- no artefacts because of markers moving on skin or clothes
- no disturbance of movement caused by markers
- hybrid tracking possibility
- automatic processing
With Simi Shape you can use all possibilities of Simi Motion regarding data acquisition (synchronized high-speed video, kinematics, force plates, EMG, pressure, etc.), data processing, and data analysis.
Simi Shape integrated with Simi Motion offers the unique solution for hybrid use of two technologies, marker-based and markerless. While capturing markerless it can use additional markers, for example for certain rotation axes or for validation of results.
What is the working process with Simi Shape 3D?
- Person is being captured by 8 cameras.
- Silhouettes are extracted (separation of person and background).
- Fitting of silhouettes for virtual 3D-model and person.
- Optimal fitting of silhouettes with 3D-model allows extraction of 3D joint positions and joint angles.
- The results are 3D joint positions and joint angles (similar to marker-based systems but without using markers)
Setup and system requirements
- Simi Motion System with 8 cameras
- Cameras must be positioned in a circle around the actor
- Background seen by cameras must be stable and have good contrast to actor
What results do I get with Simi Shape 3D?
After automatic tracking with Simi Shape 3D you get 3D joint coordinates and rotations of all major body segments. This data is similar to the data being calculated by marker-based models, just without using markers.
Markerless motion capture under real competition conditions
Simi offers markerless motion capture without the necessity of lab conditions, motion capture suits or specific colouring of room and floor. This allows motion tracking and biomechanical analysis under real competition conditions - not only indoors but also outdoors as shown in the following videos:
When purchasing Simi Motion with Simi Shape you get all opportunities! The possibility to work with state-of-the-art marker-based methods as well as the possibility to use latest and innovative technology of markerless tracking - you can even combine both in a hybrid use.
Please see examples in the following image and the subsequent video from minute 1:52
The current version of this product is only compatible with Win7 right now.